A great lighting strategy can do so much more than create a safe, inviting atmosphere in your home. With the right lighting scheme, you can dramatically enhance your home’s aesthetics (and value) by accentuating its best features, and de-emphasizing “problem areas.” Here, the world renowned lighting designers from Murray Feiss offer their exclusive tips and tricks!
Creative Ceiling Solutions
- To make low ceilings seem higher, bounce light from up-lighting fixtures (like torchiere-style wall sconces) to visually “raise” ceilings.
- To highlight dramatic Cathedral or beamed ceilings: Use wall sconces to cast uplight, emphasizing beamed ceilings.
- To disguise rough or patchy surfaces, keep lighting off of the ceiling by using only downlighting. Imperfections in a surface will be less noticeable without direct light shining on them. Beautiful, decorative fixtures (such as chandeliers) can also serve as alternate focal points.
Accent Lighting Tips
- Highlight textured surfaces for a fascinating look. Whether it’s a tile
- backsplash or a stone fireplace, textured surfaces should be brought to life with the proper accent lighting. For the best results, “skim” the surfaces with a slightly-angled light.
- Consider backlighting decorative objects. Placing a simple light behind decorative fixtures, like plants or sculptures, creates a fascinating accent lighting effect. This works particularly well with accent pieces that have translucent components, like glass or even the water in fountains.