Once your company comes inside, it’s time to shine. Little touches can inspire a cheery mood and make guests feel comfortable and merry. Examine all aspects of illuminating the room where guests will be spending time. Carefully placed lights, candles and festive décor can guide guests to gathering spots throughout your home. Here are some additional tips for making your guests feel at home:
- Dim recessed lighting, and adjust accent and cove lighting to create highlights and drama.
- Focus attention on a tree and other holiday decorations with portable spotlights, which can usually accommodate a table top dimmer.
- Create pretty silhouettes by placing a spotlight beneath a Christmas tree so that it shines up through the branches.
- Switch out a few lampshades. Replacing a neutral lampshade with one that is red or gold will soften the light and create a holiday atmosphere.
- Fill a corner with a basket of children’s holiday books.
- Create an elegant ambiance in the powder room by adding some simple touches, such as a portable lamp with a colored shade, bright flower arrangement, holiday towels or scented candles.
Take an overall look at your home, and visualize it as a guest. Notice what stands out and what areas need additional attention. Your guests will surely appreciate the extra effort.
note: American Lighting Association