Dining room lighting should be both beautiful and functional. This can be accomplished using a mix of ambient, task and accent lighting. These various layers of light establish the mood for a variety of functions, including dining, homework or family bookkeeping. Dimming controls will enable you to vary the light for each function. Please visit our new website angersteins2.gmgwebsite.com – free shipping over $150 and tax free!
Lighting Techniques for the Dining Room
A chandelier is often the focal point of a dining room. Suspended over the dining table, it serves as a decorative element that enhances the beauty of your fine furnishings. When the light is dimmed, a soft, glowing atmosphere similar to candlelight is created. If equipped with a downlight, the chandelier provides task lighting for the table and accent lighting for a centerpiece.
Choose a chandelier that is 6″ narrower than the smallest width of the dining table. If your table is 48″ x 72″, then the recommended width of the fixture is approximately 36″. The chandelier should hang approximately 30″ above the tabletop in an 8′ ceiling. For each additional foot of ceiling height, add one inch. In a 10′ ceiling, the chandelier should hang approximately 32″ above the table.
source: American Lighting Assoc.
Recessed or track lighting provides ambient lighting, while enabling you to highlight prized possessions throughout the room.
A row of four recessed downlights around the dining table supplements the light from the downlights while providing accent lighting for your tableware.
Whether it’s a single bath light or an entire house of lights, Angerstein’s Design Center provides the services to fit your needs.
- Free lighting layout & design
- Blueprint takeoffs (Please call for an appointment.)
- Product scale and style guidance
- Suggestions on color coordination and finishes
- Landscape Lighting layout & design
- Patio Furniture layout & design
- Custom-sized mantel design (Please call for an appointment.)
- Installation of fireplace glass doors, mantels & surrounds
- Angerstein’s “90 Days Same As Cash” credit card for those that qualify
- Home & Garden seminar series in the spring & fall
- Builders Model Home and Special Packages available
- Member of the American Lighting Association
- Member of the Better Business Bureau